It may appear that I’ve gone MIA again. I promise, I have things to write about and the will to write them, alas, I have not the time. We’ve been house/dogsitting for the past nine days — the dog requires most of the work — and running Rana to her summer science/reading program. It’s a big damper on my blogging mojo. But don’t lose heart, there will be posts coming. Soon, I hope! In the meanwhile, take a look at how else I’ve been keeping busy whilst having access to a real oven!
Just four more days until we return to the cabin. It has been a nice respite to be in our friends’ house while they were on vacation. I made use of the oven today and made sure the kids spent lots of time outdoors to enjoy the sun!
Alright, there hasn’t been much crafting going on lately what with all the packing and whatnot for house-sitting. But I did get to do something I haven’t done in eight months.
I made apple crisp!
We had it for breakfast this morning with yogurt and then the kids and I polished it off this afternoon for a snack. Mmmm.
Cherish your ovens.
- I will not scrape my hands on the ceiling when I change clothes.
- I will not bang my head on a log when I put my kids to bed.
- I will not have to start a fire.
- I will not have to check the stovetop for mouse poop before I start cooking (Official Mouse Count is up to 30, btw).
- I will not have to drive 8 miles to a grocery store that I don’t even like.
For three weeks
- I will have an oven and plan on using it every single day.
- I will have a bathroom counter on which to set my hair brush and makeup. It’s the little luxuries.
- I will be able to put Konik in a separate bedroom from his sisters. They might actually sleep!
- I will be able to send the kids outside to play, even when it’s raining. Hurray for covered patios!
- I will have the pleasure of walls and doors in between rooms.
For three weeks
- I will miss hearing the river rushing by.
- I will miss seeing the hummingbirds at our window feeder.
- I will not have my sewing machine.
- I will be paranoid that my kids will break something.
For three weeks we will be house-sitting for friends, F & S, in another town. They get to go on a tour of Europe by motorcycle. We get to stay in a house with heat. Not knocking the cabin — without our other friends, M & M, so generously letting us stay here, these past eight months would have been dire indeed. But it will be a nice change of pace and as close to a vacation as we’re going to get this year. F does have a sewing machine in her house and said I was welcome to use it. I may, but don’t be surprised if the next few weeks are rather crochet-heavy. I’ll see if I can come up with something else to break it up a bit.
We will be coming back to check on the cabin periodically and
mow the lawn weed-whack the yard trim the greenery, so don’t anybody get any ideas about crashing our pad. We don’t have anything worth stealing anyways, but do feel free to take a couple mice with you when you leave.